Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Traditional potato salads such as our popular Best Basic Potato Salad are always a hit at picnics, barbeques and outdoor gatherings. However it’s fun to try something different and put a new twist on this old favorite. With plenty of unique recipes such as Greek-style Lemony Potato Salad, Vegan Potato Salad with Arugula and Celery and Potato Salad with Cabbage and Spicy Mustard, you’re bound to discover unique ideas that inspire you.
Although typically served as a side dish, potato salad can easily become a hearty main if vegetables, cheese, meat or eggs are added. Tryout a variety of potatoes but remember that red potatoes, Yukon gold, Yellow Finn and fingerling potatoes tend to keep their shape during boiling, roasting, grilling and refrigeration, whereas starchier Idaho, Russet or baking potatoes, may become too soft or mushy when cooked.
Growing up in Hawaii, I often had Japanese potato salad, which is typically made with semi-mashed potatoes, Japanese mayonnaise (slightly salty and tangy), vegetables such as carrots, peas, and onions, and sometimes ham or boiled eggs. You too can experiment with unexpected additions to the basic potato salad recipe. Here is some inspiration:
- Sliced cabbage or kale
- Capers, sundried tomatoes and sliced olives
- Feta or a cubed cheese such as Manchego sheep cheese from Spain, jalapeño Jack cheese, super sharp cheddar, Murcia Curado Naked Goat cheese, or Comté cheese from France
- Fresh herbs such as basil, chives, marjoram, oregano, dill, etc
- Dried fruits such as figs, raisins or cranberries
- Legumes such as black, pinto or garbanzo beans
- A variety of seasonal vegetables
- Lemon or lime juice, vinegar or wine
- Dill or sweet pickles, or pickle relish
- Tuna, eggs, ham, turkey, shrimp or crumbled bacon or ham
- Marinated and grilled chopped meats, tofu or tempeh
- Dijon mustard, honey mustard or any favorite spicy-hot mustard
- A dash of Tabasco, Worcestershire, barbeque sauce, sliced jalapeño or other chili peppers
- Nuts or seeds such as walnuts, pine nuts, sunflower, pumpkin or sesame seeds (these make a great garnish!)
Vegan Potato Salad with Arugula and Celery
Looking for recipes?
- Try our Potato Salad with Green Olives or make an Italian-style potato salad with garlic, olive oil, roasted red pepper or pimento, fresh herbs and capers.
- Not a vinegar lover? This Vinegar-Free Potato Salad is for you!
- Do you pass on the mayo? Use Greek yogurt, sour cream or a vinaigrette in place of mayonnaise like in this Grilled Potato Salad.
- If you enjoy German food, you’ll appreciate German Potato Salad and Ale-Braised Bratwurst with German Potato Salad.
- Russian Potato Salad often contains chicken or another meat. It can also be made with eggs, pickles and peas.
- Balsamic vinegar and honey flavor this Roasted Sweet Potato Salad.
- Go veggies! Garden Potato Salad is made with corn and cilantro. Green beans and kalamata olives are added to this Roasted New Potato Salad. Asparagus lovers will rejoice in our Red Potato and Asparagus Salad.
- Warm Honey Mustard Potato Salad is made with cornichon pickles and honey mustard dressing.
What’s your idea of a great potato salad? I’d love to know.
from Whole Story Category RSS Feed http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/WholeStoryBlog/~3/WFpHCtXs1Ig/potato-salads-summer