Rice bowls are having a moment, and for good reason – they’re some of the most versatile meals on the planet. This hearty version features smoked salmon, avocado, and a sesame-soy-honey sauce to tie it all together. It’s the ultimate low-fuss healthy lunch or dinner, as it comes together in about 40 minutes or no time at all if you’re using leftover rice. One of many one-bowl recipes from Posh Rice: Over 70 Recipes for All Things Rice by Emily Kydd, out March 7, this flavorful dish will convince you that brown rice is anything but boring.
Using hot smoked salmon makes this recipe quick enough as it is, and you can speed things up even more by using frozen brown rice. Take a break from your go-to brown rice recipes and whip up this satisfying bowl that’s pretty enough to post on Instagram. If you’re feeling particularly adventurous, take a few extra minutes to master the avocado rose on top. It’s easier than it looks!
Try shaping your avocado slices into a rose, or if life’s too short, serve in slices on top of the rice.
- 150 grams / 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 100 grams / 4 ounces edamame beans, defrosted if frozen
- 1 avocado
- 1 fillet (about 90 grams / 3 ounces) hot smoked salmon
- Handful coriander (cilantro) leaves, roughly chopped
- For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 heaped teaspoon grated ginger
- Drizzle of honey
- Cook the rice in salted water according to the packet instructions. Drain, then spread it out on a tray and leave to cool. Meanwhile, mix together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Tip the rice into a bowl, then stir in the dressing, most of the sesame seeds, and the edamame beans. Divide between bowls.
- Halve the avocado, remove the stone and peel off the skin. Place an avocado half cut-side down on a chopping board, then slice very thinly across its width. With the slices remaining standing as they are, gently fan them to form a line of slices. Starting at one end, carefully roll up the line to form a rose shape and place it on top of the rice.
- Flake over the salmon, then scatter the coriander and remaining sesame seeds on top.
- Rice, Main Dishes
- Serves 2
- Cook Time
- 40 minutes
from POPSUGAR Food